Each console server ships with a default IP Address 192.168.0.1 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 You can use the arp command on a network connected PC/workstation to assign it an alternate IP address.
To do this from a Windows PC:
- Click Start -> Run
- Type cmd and click OK to bring up the command line
- Type arp -d to flush the ARP cache
- Type arp -a to view the current ARP cache which should be empty
- Type arp -s 192.168.100.23 00-13-C6-00-02-0F (Note for UNIX the syntax is: arp -s 192.168.100.23 00:13:C6:00:02:0F)
- Type ping -t 188.8.131.52 to start a continuous ping to the new IP Address.
- Turn on the console server and wait for it to configure itself with the new IP address. The Opengear will start replying to the ping at this point
- Type arp -d to flush the ARP cache again
Alternately you can reconfigure the console server's IP using a browser, however to do this the connected PC/workstation needs to have an IP address in the same range as the console server (for example, 192.168.0.100), so arp-ping is often simpler.