Serial port redirection uses a RFC2217 or Raw TCP network server on the Opengear device and software client running on your PC, to create a local "virtual COM port" on your Windows or Linux PC.
This mode of operation is useful for legacy software applications that do not themselves support network connections, and require direct access to a remotely attached serial device via a local serial port.
Note: In this mode, the Opengear device becomes a serial device server as distinct from a serial console server or terminal server. For information on using the Opengear device in the more common console server mode, refer to this article.
Opengear device server configuration
- Login to the Opengear web UI as root or an admin group user
- Click Serial & Network -> Serial Port -> Edit
- Configure the Serial Port Settings to match the attached serial device, e.g. Baud Rate
- Select Console Server Mode and check Raw TCP or RFC 2217
- Scroll to the bottom and click Apply
Eltima Serial to Ethernet Connector client
- Install the Serial to Ethernet Connector software on your Windows PC.The serial_ethernet_connector_6.1.524.exe program is included on the CD supplied with your Opengear device. A copy can be freely downloaded from http://opengear.com/download/eltima/
- Enter license code. You will need to enter the Username: Opengear Customer and your unique License Key e.g. 000G23-ER56K5A-345ERC-3A4598-32XCF93
Note: Legacy SD4001/2 or ACM500-I or ACM5500-I models bundled a license key. Alternately a key will be provided if you contact Opengear technical support.
Note: Please do not update the Eltima software. Doing so will break your registration.
Your Serial to Ethernet Connector software has now been activated. You are licensed to install the Serial to Ethernet Connector software on one or more computers for accessing any serial device connected to any Opengear serial port.
Note: If you did not receive Thank you for registration! message, you will need to re-enter Username and License Key code e.g. you will still only be running in limited time demo mode if the message you received was:
3. To set up a client connection to the serial port on your Opengear device select Create Client connection
For more guidance the Serial to Ethernet Connector manual and knowledge base can be found at: http://wiki.eltima.com/user-guides/sec-pc/guide.html
Note: Opengear previously supplied PortShare for Windows software which was built on Eltima software (refer to the PortShare for Windows User Manual).
PortShare for Linux client
The PortShare driver for Linux maps the Opengear device serial port to a local tty port. This opengear-serial-client is an open source utility for Linux, AIX, HPUX, SCO, Solaris and UnixWare and it can be freely downloaded.
Third party port redirection clients
All Opengear devices support RFC2217 or Raw TCP on any port, making these ports accessible using client software of the likes of Serial to Ethernet Connector from Eltima or Serial/IP Redirector from Tactical Software.
Article is closed for comments.