Each Opengear console server maintains configuration details of the connected hosts and serial ports; the TCP ports and services enabled; alarm triggers and response; the users and their access privileges and more. The SDTConnector client needs to be configured with these details for each console server it is to access.
This configuration can be done manually (refer faq264). Or you can select Retrieve Hosts and the full configuration (as applicable to the user) will be auto-uploaded from the nominated gateway (console server) into SDTConnector. This will:
- manually configure SDTConnector access to the gateway itself (set up as Local Services)
- set up access to the enabled services to serial port connected devices that the user is authorized to access on the gateway (e.g. Telnet access to the device on serial port 1)
- configure access to network connected hosts that the user is authorized to access (e.g. webhost has been added below) and set up (for each of these hosts) the services (e.g. HTTPS, IPMI2.0) and the related IP ports being redirected
- For users who were set on the console server in the group "users", the Retrieve Hosts will only retrieve details of checked serial ports and checked hosts (i.e. those where the User was given access privilege). Similarly for Users who were assigned to any new group or are groupless
- For users who were set on the console server in the group "admin", the Retrieve Hosts will similarly only retrieve details of checked serial ports and checked hosts (even though as Administrators these users do explicitly have access privileges to all Managed Devices)
- For the "root" user Retrieve Hosts won't retrieve anything - and it is recommended this account is only used to add an initial admin account