IBM's eServer, xSeries and BladeCenter families all offer systems management hardware for around-the-clock remote management. A baseboard management controller (BMC) is a built-in system component in xSeries and BladeCenter servers and it provides basic monitoring and troubleshooting facilities, such as sending alerts and remote power control. However it is IBM's Remote Supervisor Adapter (and the popular RSA II) that represents the next generation of comprehensive server management.
- For details on configuring your IBM solution download the Using SDTConnector with IBM x Series Servers.pdf application note. This explores how to configure SDTConnector and the console servers to securely access to the IBM embedded service processors and to interface with the IBM Director applications. Sections in the application note include:
- Connecting to BMC services
- Console redirection and serial over LAN (SOL)
- Configuring BMC console redirection on the xSeries/System x server
- Installing the Systems Management Bridge on the PC running SDTConnector
- Enable your operating system's console on the xSeries/System x server
- Configuring SDTConnector to connect the SOL session
- Configuring the RSA II and connecting to the RSA II
- Connecting to IBM Director Server
- Also refer to the IBM Systems Management technical article for an overview of the IBM solution
Article is closed for comments.