The Configure: Dialpool shows any modems currently set up in the dialpool. The Modems tab (V4.3 and later) presents a summary view with details of modem setup, type, current status information (disconnected, dialling, or connected) as well as the connection time and the user that initiated dialling. More details are provided within each of the individual modem tabs.
To add modems to the dialpool
- To add a modem to the dialpool select Configure: Dialpool and go to the Add Modem to Dialpool section. Enter the Host Address (i.e. the IP address or Domain Name of the downstream console server with the modem, and the RFC2217 Host Port address of the modem (i.e. the tcp port # of the modem serial port e.g. 5011)
Note RFC2217 provides for virtual serial port connections, and the serial port with the modem must have this enabled. To enable this, when configuring the downstream console server, simply tick RFC2217 as the Console Server Setting for the specific serial port in the Serial&Network:Serial Ports menu.
- Provide the modem a Local Port Name and click Add Modem
- A new tab will have been created on the Configure: Dialpool page for the modem you have added. Select this tab and set up for your out-dial settings
Once you have the modem pool set up for your out dial, you will need to set up the phone numbers etc of the modems on the Managed Console Servers you may wish to dial into for out of band management.
NOTE: As per diagram below. An external modem must be used as the internal modem does not correctly support RFC2217.
As you add new Managed Console Servers, or edit existing ones:
- In Configure: Managed Console Servers configure Remote Dialin Setup to allow it to be accessed and managed through a dial in connection
- Enter the Phone Number to access the remote Managed Console Server on
- Enter the Dialin Username and Password for a user account on the Managed Console Server with dialin access
The dialpool modems now await the Dial command to connect to the awaiting Managed Console Server modems!