With V3.4 firmware (and later) an internal or externally attached modem on any console server can be configured for out-dial to be always on.
This establishes a permanent external dial-up ppp connection. In the event of a disruption in the dial-out connection, the console server will endeavor to re-establish the connection. To set up:
- Select System: Dial and check Enable Dial-Out to allow outgoing modem communications
- For external serial modems, select the Baud Rate and Flow Control that will communicate with the modem
- In the Dial-Out Settings - Always On Out-of-Band field enter the access details for the remote PPP server to be called
- Override DNS is available so you can use alternate DNS servers from those provided by your ISP. For example, an alternative DNS may be required for OpenDNS used for content filtering. To enable Override DNS:
- check the Override returned DNS Servers box
- enter the IP of the alternate DNS servers into the spaces provided
- If the dial PPP connection is to an ISP who allocates you a dynamic Public IP address (and most generally do) you will also need to configure a Dynamic DNS service (refer faq348) to be able to access the console server.
- Alternately on advanced console server models, the internal or externally attached modems can be set up in Failovermode - where a dial-out connection is only established in event of a ping failure. Refer faq 274