With any model Opengear appliance you can use email-to-SMS services to send SMS alert notifications to mobile devices. Almost all mobile phone carriers provide an SMS gateway service that forwards email to mobile phones on their networks. There’s also a wide selection of SMS gateway aggregators who provide email to SMS forwarding to phones on any carriers.
Alternately if your Opengear appliance has an embedded or externally attached cellular modem you will be given the option to send the SMS directly over the carrier connection.
Configuring to send SMS via Email Gateway
To use SMTP SMS the Administrator must configure a valid SMTP server for sending the email:
- In the SMTP Settings field in the Alerts & Logging: SMTP &SMS menu select SMS Gateway. An SMS via Email Gateway field will appear
- Enter the IP address of the outgoing mail Server SMS gateway
- Select a Secure Connection (if applicable) and specify the SMTP port to be used (if other than the default port 25)
- You may also enter a Sender email address which will appear as the “from” address in all email notifications sent from this console server. Some SMS gateway service providers only forward email to SMS when the email has been received from authorized senders. So you may need to assign a specific authorized email address for the console server
- You may also enter a Username and Password as some SMS gateway service providers use SMTP servers which require authentication
- Similarly you can specify the specific Subject Line that will be sent with the email. Generally the email subject will contain a truncated version of the alert notification message (which is contained in full in the body of the email). However some SMS gateway service providers require blank subjects or require specific authentication headers to be included in the subject line
- Click Apply Settings to activate SMS-SMTP connection.
Configuring to send SMS alert via a cellular modem
To use an attached or internal cellular modem for SMS the Administrator must enable SMS:
- Select Cellular Modem In the SMS Settings field
- Check Receive Messages to enable incoming SMS messages to be received. A custom script will be called on receipt of incoming SMS messages
- You may need to enter the phone number of the carrier’s SMS Message Centre (only if advised by your carrier or Support)
- Click Apply Settings to activate SMS-SMTP connection
Note The option to directly send SMS alerts via the cellular modem was included in the Management GUI in V3.4. Advanced console servers have had the gateway software (SMS Server Tools 3) embedded since V3.1 however you this could only be accessed from the command line to send SMS messages
.Note: Sending or receiving an SMS through a CDMA cellular modem (e.g. when the Opengear is connected to the Verizon network in USA) requires V3.6.0 firmware or later.