For firmware V3.4.1 and later the Trigger Action to send email or SMS alerts is set up in the Alerts & Logging: Auto-Response menu.
1. An email alert notification can be sent to a nominated destination over the configured SMTP server:
- Click on Send Email as the Add Trigger Action.
- Enter a unique Action Name and set the Action Delay Time
- Specify the Recipient Email Address to send this email to and the Subject of the email. For multiple recipients you can enter comma separated addresses
- Edit the Email Text message to send and click Save New Action
2. An SMS alert can also be sent via an SMTP (email) gateway. You will need to specify the Recipient Email Address in the format specified by the gateway provider e.g.
- T-Mobile: phonenumber @tmomail.net
- Virgin Mobile: email@example.com
- Sprint: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Verizon: email@example.com
- Nextel: firstname.lastname@example.org
where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number.
There's also a wide selection of SMS gateway aggregators who provide email to SMS forwarding to phones on any carriers. Sending SMS via email using SMTP can be much faster than sending text pages via a modem using the TAP Protocol.
Note When sending SMS alerts via such a gateway, so you must first have preconfigured the SMTP Server on your Opengear appliance
3. Send SMS alert direct over cellular connection
- Select Send SMS as the Add Trigger Action in the Alerts & Logging: Auto-Response menu
- Specify a unique Action Name and any Action Delay Time (time after the trigger to perform this action)
- Specify the Phone number that the SMS will be sent to (in international format without the "+")
- Edit the Message Text to send
- Click Save New Action
Note: The SMS alert can only be sent if there is an internal or external USB cellular modem attached, and again you must first nominate how you are sending SMS messages on your Opengear appliance
For further general discussion on setting up trigger actions refer Trigger Actions.
Earlier firmware versions - sending an email or SMS alert
With firmware earlier than V3.4.1 the alert response is set up in the Alerts & Logging: Auto-Response menu:
- For email alert notification, nominate the email address for the Email Recipient(s) to be notified of the alert, and for multiple recipients you can enter comma separated addresses
- If an SMS alert is to be sent via a SMTP gateway you will need to specify the SMTP SMS Email Recipient(s) to be notified of the alert. The recipient address will be in a format specified by the gateway provider.
- If the console server has an internal or external cellular modem attached you will be given the option to send an SMS alert directly over the carrier connect. Enter the Direct SMS phone number in international format without the "+"